We work hard to help our children to achieve fluency in solving calculations and to give them opportunities to develop a deep understanding of mathematical concepts so that they can apply them in practical situations. We take a ‘Maths Mastery’ approach.
At Yerbury we believe that mathematics is an essential tool for everyday life and a subject worthy of study in itself. In mathematics we use a Teaching for Mastery approach which rejects the idea that many children ‘just can’t do maths’. All children are encouraged by the belief that by working hard at maths they can succeed. Children are taught through whole-class interactive teaching, where the focus is on everyone working together on the same lesson content at the same time. This helps children to master concepts before moving to the next part of the curriculum sequence, maximising the opportunities for all to make good progress.
Our teaching of mathematics includes:
· Problem solving and reasoning as a regular part of lessons, which provide challenge.
· An emphasis on quality mathematical talk and the correct use of mathematical language.
· Carefully sequenced lessons using a logical small-steps approach to teaching new concepts.
· The use of high quality concrete resources and representations to encourage depth of understanding.
· Regular repetition of learning to help develop fluency with basic number facts and ensure retention of knowledge.
· A range of games and activities to help build children’s enjoyment and confidence with mathematics.
· Swift interventions which are provided for children who are identified as needing extra support.